Starting Proposal

This week I will be making a start on my proposal, using the research I have done over the past few weeks and what I have learnt over the past two years of University to formulate the thesis for my final project.

I have currently been looking into different AI techniques, such as finite-state machines (FSM), hierarchal finite-state machines (HFSM) and behaviour trees (BT).  Previously I have used a FSM and a BT during my time at University.  I liked how simple and easy it was to implement an FSM however, I would like to make a complicated artificial intelligence (AI) agent with lots of states and actions to make it seem 'smart'.  If I used an FSM or a HFSM this could become very confusing with multiple transitions to states, and as I add more states throughout the course of the project it will soon become very hard to manage it all.

For this reason I have decided to research further into BTs.  I aim to create the AI for a stealth based environment to test my knowledge of the different techniques, primarily the BT.  For my proposal, I will look into implementing a FSM as the initial AI to quickly set up the scene and test the system, upgrading to a BT further along into the project to handle transitions using composite nodes and conditional checks.

The reason I would like to pursue the AI in a stealth based environment is because I would like to create a world that will react to the player under certain circumstances, however as long as the player is hidden I would like to make interesting AI that will go about normal everyday business such as patrols, getting drinks etc. 

However, when the player is spotted I would like the system to challenge the player, making sure that everything runs smoothly, and the AI transitions through states correctly and logically, ensuring there are no illogical transitions such as, when the player is spotted the AI decides to go for a nap rather than engage the player.